Blog post

Priest Humanity and Cause

February 25, 2018

Emmaus – is a gateway for second hand bargains in France.  It is a charity with a

002.JPG difference.

Emmaus is a “Noah of the Ark,” they are there in all weathers for the people who are homeless.  They are the biggest shelter in the world.

They provide shades, in other words, a home for as long as those who needs it, in any Emmaus community. And this vouch-safe the people the scopes to repair their lifestyle, explore their problems that pulls them to their circumstances they were in, and commonly reconnect with families and their loved ones.

ABBE PIERRE- 1999

History of Emmaus

Father Henri-Antoine known as “Abbé Pierre,” was the priest who started the foundation of “Emmaus” in 1949.  Having been an MP at that time, he fought the battle to accommodate homelessness in Paris.

Abbé Pierre also hired a first Emmaus aide, a forgone convict named Georges who had attempted suicide in the Seine.  George was Abbie’s helper who built impermanent homes in the priest’s own garden for the homeless.  Any land they could acquire, they built homes for the needy.

When he left parliament in 1951, Abbé Pierre devoted himself to the homeless end.  He fought a battle to pay Georges and the Emmaus Community.  The priest was rejected by his church for begging at restaurants.  So he organised “rag pickers” to collect unwanted things for resale.  This is how the basis of Emmaus Communities were formed to raise funds to help others.

The year 1954 saw one of the most savaged winter that brought a number of deaths among the homeless people.  Abbé Pierre appealed through the media, “newspapers and radio” for donations.  The French nation responded and Emmaus grew from a national charity to an international one.

This name Emmaus come from a bible story.  It was the town in which Jesus was resurrected according to the gospel of Luke, at which the bible verse is defined as “offering hope.”  Therefore Abbé Pierre expressed the Emmaus Charity and its community as the hope for hereafter.  However it appears biblical, Emmaus is not a devout organisation.  The name is an illustration of hope.

Emmaus has expanded its wings around the world, North, South, East, and West.

And by 2014 there were 336 Emmaus organisations in 37 countries.

Abbé Pierre was born on 5 August 1912, Lyon, France and passed away on the 22 January 2007, in Paris, France at the grand age of 95 years old.

And herewith today, please find below pictures of one of the Emmaus Charity shops I visited some time ago in the province of Poitou Charente in the Nouvelle Aquitaine in France.DSC_0176

DSC_0202

DSC_0183

DSC_0182

DSC_0181

DSC_0179

DSC_0178

DSC_0177

DSC_0175Good morning everyone, I hope you are all having a wonderful Sunday!  I hope you have enjoyed my post as much as I have enjoyed writing it and detailing it to the best of how I have understood the story and history of the “Emmaus Charity” who has and is still making a big difference in the lives of the homeless and needy in this world.

Pictures are my own – “sauf” the white and black picture of “Abbé Pierre” that I managed to copy from Wikipedia.

Thank you for reading!

11 Comments

America On Coffee

March 23, 2018 at 2:10 am

Sweet share merits so needed today!

1. J

French Shabby Chic Cabane

March 23, 2018 at 4:15 pm

Aww, Thank you AOC. You are so kind. I have been busy lately, and I haven’t blog for some time, I am preparing some writings to post because I am going to make a “Give Away” on my blog. I wish you a very wonderful weekend. Take care of yourself!

Deepak Singh

March 15, 2018 at 3:11 am

Wow, beautiful and wonderfully written about a great leader, who changed the world. Very noble cause for which he devoted his life. Thanks for letting us know about this great priest.

1. J

French Shabby Chic Cabane

March 15, 2018 at 10:31 am

Thank you for reading. One cause I have ever known that keeps changing the lives of others. It is one of the greatest charities of all time.

D. Wallace Peach

February 27, 2018 at 3:22 am

What a lovely and generous soul, Juli. I enjoyed reading this and hope that people continue to give with such conviction to those who are in need and want to turn lives around. I bet there are treasures among those goods for anyone who wants to help. 🙂

1. J

French Shabby Chic Cabane

February 27, 2018 at 3:25 am

Thanks Diana, I am sipping a hot cuppa at 3.30 am. Yes there are lots of beautiful treasures, my days, I always want to buy the whole shop hahahahah lol. But honestly, it is a place to go if you are putting up a home and decorating it, you will never miss out on what you want. Thank you for reading Diana.

reocochran

February 27, 2018 at 1:44 am

This is such a caring cause for selling and using the funds for positive outcomes! I love the Cause for Humanity housewares sales!
    I would take hours to look through it all! 💞

1. J

French Shabby Chic Cabane

February 27, 2018 at 2:05 am

It is a massive place, you would take hours to go through all the departments. I love going to the Charity shops of Emmaus in France, I never miss a trip. Thank you Robin!

1. Avatar

reocochran

February 27, 2018 at 2:18 am

I wouldn’t want to rush either! Looks like a lot of beautiful items. Thanks for explaining about this cause, too.

1. J

French Shabby Chic Cabane

February 27, 2018 at 3:16 am

You are very much welcome! Cheers!

2. J

J

December 14, 2018 at 12:05 am

Hi rocochran, it’s been long time. I have moved blog. I am trying to make my follows aware of this move. Thank you! Juli